Sunday, August 23, 2009

Ready to go ?!?!

It's 24 hours until my first flight lands at my first destination on the second leg of the Queen's Travel Tour '09...Cleveland, Ohio...

I rolled my clothes last night -- which is a completely different method of packing for me...It seems pretty efficient, I wonder how wrinkled things will be when I arrive, but I've heard this is the best way to pack...and it's definitely an easy way to make things fit. Everything fit easily in to the two bags I'm carrying.

It's 16 hours until my plane takes off and I'm ready to go...It's scary...Not scary because I'm leaving home for 17 days. Not scary because I will spend the last part of this trip traveling alone and that's something I've never done. Not scary because I'm flying and that used to be a big big deal for me. Scary because I AM READY...I usually throw everything in to my bags the night before I leave and feel pretty confident I've got what I need. The fact that I'm packed so early seems strange...Strange enough that it's sorta scary. I keep thinking maybe I should unpack my bags and double check just to make absolutely sure that everything is there... I won't, but I feel like doing it. I mean, not only are all my clothes packed, but I also have exactly what I'm wearing tomorrow laid out on the bed. I have the perfect amount of space for sliding in my make up bag and straightening iron left in one bag... I AM READY...it's weird...

So, instead of unpacking and re-packing I am going to go and enjoy a couple of things I know I won't enjoy for a while...the first one being SONIC...that's right I am leaving tomorrow to travel to a place that does not have Sonic - or at least doesn't have one within a mile of where I am staying...In fact, it's apparently at least 45 minutes to the nearest Sonic...Crazy, huh? I can't help but wonder if these people realize what they are missing...For those of you who knew me well, you know I generally have a Sonic cup in hand every single place I go...I won't be able to do that for a while. So, I'm going to Sonic and having a Diet Dr. Pepper with vanilla. Apparently Diet Dr. Pepper is also not something that is quite as readily available where I'm headed. So, tonight I will have a Diet Dr. Pepper with vanilla from Sonic and sit on the magical balcony that I love so much.

I also did another thing today that I won't be able to do for a while...I had Sunday lunch with the fam. That's a normal Sunday thing for us and I always love it, but today I realized I wouldn't be doing it a again for a while and I loved it even more. AND we had Rosa's, which is another thing I won't be doing for a while. I know that there won't be Rosa's where I am headed and I think there probably won't be much Mexican food -- at least not good Tex-Mex food like I'm so used to...So, I feel like I've pretty much covered my bases in doing things I do frequently, love a lot, and won't get to do for a while.

And so I'm ready. I'm not scared about this trip. I am excited. I am also surprised how unreal it seems -- even though my packed bags are sitting in my bedroom floor and I've checked and double-checked that I have everything I need -- it still seems pretty unreal. I started thinking about doing this whole travel thing almost a year ago. I started talking about it around Christmas and I started believing it might actually happen when I resigned from my job last spring.

But now the time is here. Tomorrow morning I am leaving. I would normally be going off to my first day of a whole new school year. In some ways I feel like I'm heading off in to a whole new life. I have no idea what to expect...and for some reason that's the very best part. This won't be predictable, this won't be normal, this won't be like anything I've ever done... And that's exciting/strange/invigorating/inspiring/intriguing...

I decided to blog tonight to get into the habit of sitting in the evening and reflecting on the day. I actually do that quite frequently, but my reflections don't generally end up being put down in words and broadcast to the world...(and by to the world I mean the 2 or 3 of you who read this...but I'm having a momentary delusion of grandeur and enjoying pretending that at least a dozen people are reading this so please just play along with me...) So...I'm ready...I'm going to kick back and enjoy a quiet evening reading on the balcony and then curled up on my couch...and then I'll be leaving as soon as I awake in the morning...

I'm leaving...I'm ready...And I hope you're ready too...

No comments:

Post a Comment