Tuesday, September 1, 2009

DC Do's & Don'ts...and a link to all my DC pics...

DC...Do’s and Don’ts...


Ok, first of all, the punctuation issues for the words do’s and don’ts bothers me...From reading the blogs lately, you’d think I generally disregard all punctuation (and for that matter spelling and grammar) rules in my writing...But the truth is, I am bothered by these things, but just don’t notice them as much at 1 a.m. or so when I’m usually writing blog entries...So, after googling the correct punctuation of the plural of do and the plural of don’t and realizing that the above is indeed wrong... I went with the title at the top anyway -- it looks better...and I’m taking poetic license (in fact, just consider all my errors to be intentional instances of use of poetic license, that’ll remove my guilt and shame and that of my former English teachers about my poor revising and editing skills)...don’t know what poetic license is...Google it... ;)... this is a learning experience, remember?!?


Ok...so on to the re-cap of DC and a list of a few things I’d recommend...


First...my personal fave things and highlights...HMMM...just take a few minutes (ok, maybe more like an hour or so (...and/or check out the pics that I am posting at shutterfly.com ....;) and read all the blogs, I loved everything...BUT if I had to name just three things that almost individually warrant the price of my plane ticket to DC, I’d say...

The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

Lincoln Memorial (and others) at night

The Holocaust Museum


Next, things I missed and hope to return to see at some point...again, not a comprehensive list, but things on the tip top of the list...

The Iwo Jima Memorial

Folgers Shakespeare Museum

Smithsonian Museum of American History

Museum of the American Indian...as well, as various other art museums...and collections...


At some point maybe the whole fam damily will go to DC and if that’s the case, I will definitely put the aforementioned things on the top of my own personal must-see list...




Now for a few recommendations...the Do’s and Don’ts


1) DO make a schedule/itinerary (and a GREAT map is a big part of this...I have one I’d gladly recommend - and possibly even lend) ...BUT...DON’T actually plan to follow it to the letter... I think an awareness of where things are and what you would qualify as must-see, must-do activities should be prioritized, and arranged in a logical manner...BUT if you’ve never been to DC despite the best laid plans, you can bet that things will take on average about an hour longer than you think they will AND unforeseen events will occur -- And sometimes the unforeseen, as in the death and funeral procession of Senator Ted Kennedy was for me, are some of the best, most memorable moments of your vacation.


“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.” - Martin Buber


2) Either train and physically condition -- and I’m not joking here -- your body to deal with the stress of walking in 90 degree heat and 98 percent humidity for about 7 to 10 miles a day to avoid major fatigue in DC OR plan to take one of the hop-off, hop-on buses, trolleys or other tours that are available in DC...I can’t personally recommend any since we took the walking option...BUT unless they are terribly, terribly expensive --(and by that I mean unless they are more expensive than the trip to the podiatrist, pedicurist and masseuse that you will need if you don’t purchase these tickets,) I am thinking they are worth the price...If not, for the entire stay in DC, at least for the last couple of days so that you can catch the furtherest away attractions or things you just want to get a quick view of without a lengthy walk.


“Travel is glamorous only in retrospect.” - Paul Theroux


3) DO plan to spend no fewer than 5 days in DC if at all possible...six days or an entire week would likely be better and honestly, I’m guessing unless you move there, there will still be some thing you wanted to see that you didn’t quite make it to...In the plans for your time in DC, I’d strongly suggest a day at Mt. Vernon...an ENTIRE day...It’s lovely and relaxing and very educational, and the workers in period costumes apparently do good demonstrations and tours if you have the time...also, a ways down the road from the actual mansion (and for an additional charge) you can visit the gristmill and distillery...A side trip that I am indeed sorry to have missed.


4) DO be aware of the DC bra bandit...ok, maybe this thief is a myth (and by that I mean something I just made up,) but there is a great deal of evidence that this criminal exists. Apparently, there has been a rash of bra thefts in DC particularly among tourists who enjoy wearing tiny tank tops over not so tiny bodies. Jessie will attest to the fact that there is ample evidence that bras disappear at an alarming rate in our nation’s capital...But seriously, other than this particular crime, I found DC to feel very safe and secure...This is a huge deal when you consider I have been a lifelong sufferer of severe stranger danger. (I will reluctantly admit that as I sat on the steps of the National Archives and waited for Kennedy’s motorcade, that I did for just a few seconds consider how very simple it would be for some psycho stranger to unleash their fury on the crowd gathered...but my fellow Americans, their kindness and my sense of feeling safe, strong and independent amidst a history making moment soon assuaged those fears)...I walked several different areas alone in DC in the middle of the day as well as early evening and never felt in danger. Yes, there are homeless people and panhandlers, but no more so than any other large city and none that were frighteningly aggressive in my experience. In general, DC was a very friendly place to visit. Park rangers, concierge, wait staff, riders on the Metro and others inhabiting the city were all very pleasant. A lovely place to visit full of a diverse and interesting collection of lovely people.


5) DO VISIT DC -- experience your nation's history and develop a sense of the capital of your country beyond the Hollywood images in your mind...while lovely images for the most part, they are hardly an accurate depiction of the grandeur and magnificence that can be experienced by seeing the very center and source of the freedoms we all have. The freedom to travel is one freedom I have never appreciated as much as I do now that I've completed this leg of my travels and I have to proclaim the second leg of the Queen’s Travel Tour (or at least the DC portion since that’s all that’s completed thus far) a splendid success...DC is truly a GREAT place to visit...The scale for success of a travel destination I suppose is a bit like the scale for a good book -- or possibly a good man (not that I have enough firsthand experience with a good man to say that for sure) -- I believe a good book or destination will have a significant emotional impact on your life, make you think, and leave you always wanting more... DC definitely did those things...DC is truly divine and an experience I feel fortunate to have had.


“Travel does what good novelists also do to the life of everyday, placing it like a picture in a frame or a gem in its setting, so that the intrinsic qualities are made more clear. Travel does this with the very stuff that everyday life is made of, giving to it the sharp contour and meaning of art.” - Freya Stark



***For all the pics from the visit to DC, go to: http://queenstraveltourpics.shutterfly.com/ ***

No comments:

Post a Comment